(USA Today)-- Will the third time be the charm as Tim Tebow prepares to join his next NFL team, the New England Patriots?
Report: Tebow to the Patriots
Maybe ... and maybe not:
FIVE REASONS WHY TEBOW IN NEW ENGLAND IS A GOOD IDEA
1. Bill Belichick knows how to maximize talent:This is the same head coach who made former starting wideout Troy Brown into an effective defensive back when the New England secondary was decimated by injuries.
Remember moonlighting tight end Mike Vrabel? The former linebacker caught 12 passes in his NFL career ... all for touchdowns.
Belichick also gets a lot of credit for recently re-popularizing double-tight end formations and making them effective and all the rage in league circles. In short, the coach is always on the cutting edge. If anyone knows who to get the most out of Tebow's arm - or legs, or the rest of his body - it's probably Belichick.
2. Josh McDaniels has had a vision for Tebow: The Patriots offensive coordinator didn't get much chance to deploy Tebow, whom McDaniels traded up to get in the first round of the 2010 draft while running the Denver Broncos, before he was fired from his post.
But clearly he saw something in the former Heisman Trophy winner that made him think he was worth such a pricey NFL investment. (And given the lack of established wideouts in New England - journeymen Danny Amendola and Michael Jenkins are the most accomplished - why not go with some run-heavy, Tebow-flavored formations?)
3. No pressure: Tebow led the Broncos to the AFC West crown in 2011 (ironically, their season was resoundingly ended by the Patriots in the playoffs) after being thrust into the lineup midway through a then-disastrous campaign following a near mutiny by the fan base. He was acquired last year by the New York Jets, who purportedly had major plans to involve the scatter-armed quarterback into their offense, though that never really happened.
In New England, expectations should be more than tempered, because Tom Brady isn't coming off the field unless he's on a stretcher.
4. Familiarity: Tebow spent the 2012 season studying AFC East opponents and brings some insider knowledge of the Jets, though New York's offense is now in overhaul mode. Even if the Pats, who once struck gold after claiming Jets castoff Danny Woodhead, glean a few helpful nuggets from Tebow, this move could at least pay a few dividends.
5. Backup QBs have done well in Foxborough: After being coached up by Belichick for three years, Matt Cassel stepped in for injured Brady in 2008 and played excellent football for most of his 15 starts. Drew Bledsoe came off the bench in the 2001 AFC Championship Game and led the Pats past the Pittsburgh Steelers into Super Bowl XXXVI. Even Doug Flutie, another oft-maligned former Heisman winner, had his famous dropkick moment courtesy of Belichick. (Yes, we're stretching.)
PATRIOTS' WAY: Tebow switching AFC East addresses
You may also like...
Teen Sex: Online support grows 18-year-old girl who had same-sex relationship with 15-year-old
Prostitute Roundup: 92 arrested in online sex sting
Cannonball: Men who jumped on top of manatees may face charges
Investigation: Florida shortens yellow lights to cause more red light tickets
Attractive Convict: Woman behind mug shot meme sets the record straight
Crime-Fighting Gator: Man flees cops, attacked by alligator
Homebrew Soda: Man claims to find Coca-Cola recipe, sells it on eBay
Watch this, Brother: Hulk Hogan does the weather at 10 News!
Record-breaker: 18-foot python caught in Florida!
Dwinking and Dwiving: Barbara Walters' daughter arrested for DUI
PHOTOS: Bikini bike wash!
Happy Reunion: Kidnapped kids taken to Cuba back with grandparents
Faces of Meth: Before and After pictures
Sex tape scandal: Miss Delaware Teen USA resigns
Neigh! Video shows man brutalizing, having sex with horse
Sex blog: Tampa area school CFO busted over her dirty sex porn blog *warning, GRAPHIC*
Nasty Nasty Dining: 10 of the nastiest restaurants in Tampa Bay in 2012
APP-tastic: Download the 10 News app for your iPad
Bikini Photos: 2012 Hooters International Swimsuit Pageant
Money Mondays: How you can search for unclaimed cash
Sex Offender Mugshots: Look up Florida Sex Offenders here
Bikinis, mud, trucks: The Redneck Yacht Club
Naughty Schoolgirls: Naughty schoolgirl night at Tampa club pictures
Nip/tuck: Hooters tries surviving middle age with a makeover
Outrageous mug shot galleries...
Strange: Some of the most unusual mug shots we've seen
Notorious Women: Bad girls behind bars
Teachers: Teacher arrest mugshots
Celebrities: The rich and famous have their own booking photos
Jaw droppers: Open mouth mug shots
Laughers: What's so funny mug shots
Prostitutes: Prostitute mug shots
Athletes: Professional athlete mug shots
Porn arrests: Child porn arrest mug shots
Local Mugs: Hillsborough County Mug shots
More unusual mug shots and galleries: 10 News slideshows and galleries