10 News sits down with Tampa Bay criminal defense attorney Joe Episcopo to discuss possible a outcome after a judge ordered Curtis Reeves to remain behind bars without bond for the Wesley Chapel theater shooting.
Tampa, Florida-- Nicole Oulson breathed a sigh of relief Friday after a judge ordered her husband's accused killer to remain behind bars with no bond for the recent Wesley Chapel movie theater shooting.
So, what's next for 71-year-old Curtis Reeves?
10 News reached out to Tampa Bay criminal defense attorney Joe Episcopo about their possible strategy.
"Today was the beginning of a long guilty plea, and I think that's a good strategy on the part of the defense. Why? Because there's no way he's going to be able to get around a second degree murder conviction," said the famed defense attorney.
He watched the hearing, took notes, double checked the statutes, and says this case will not go to trial.
"Because of the testimony that came out today, and the fact he didn't get bond- it doesn't bode well for going to trial. It's only going to hurt you to go to trial, and put the widow through that," said Episcopo.
Also of interest, was the about face by the defense on releasing the surveillance video to the media. Why would the defense do that? Here's Episcopo's analysis.
"The video shows he was a little bit provoked. It wasn't that serious, but it showed something did happen. So again, it might help the defense in making the sentence more bearable," said Episcopo.
10 News will continue with developments in this case.
Visit the following links for our recent coverage:
- PHOTOS: Shooting suspect taken into custody
- Movie theater gunman ID'd as former TPD captain
- Neighbor: Theater shooting victim a family man
- Victim Support: Chad Oulson Memorial Fund
- Witnesses: Victim threw popcorn bag at suspect
- Dad shot in theater adamant about texting daughter
- GUNS: Why are they allowed where signs forbid them?
- Deputies: Alleged movie theater shooter's gun jammed
- Popcorn defense: Can accused movie shooter use Stand Your Ground?
- 10 Investigates: History of accused movie theater shooter
- Woman describes disturbing run-in with alleged shooter
- Wife of movie theater shooting victim speaks publicly for 1st time
- WATCH: Nicole Oulson's complete statement
- Bond Hearing: Judge allows theater shooting video in courtroom
- The View: Widow discusses shooting on talk show, The View
- NO BOND: Judge denies Reeves bond in theater shooting