Judge: No bond for Curtis Reeves in movie theater shooting

12:11 AM, Feb 8, 2014   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Pasco County, Florida (WTSP/USA TODAY) -- No bond. That's the ruling from Judge Pat Siracusa at the bond hearing for Curtis Reeves, the retired Tampa Police captain who fatally shot a theatergoer in a confrontation over texting.

On Friday, the judge heard arguments from both sides to determine if Reeves should receive bond. 

Reeves, 71, is charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of Chad Oulson. If convicted, he could face at least 25 years imprisonment.

The big moment at Friday's hearing was the court being shown the surveillance video of the altercation between Reeves and Oulson followed by the shooting. While only Reeves is visible in the video it shows part of what happened on Jan. 13 at the Cobb Grove 16 theater.

10 News' management reviewed the video and decided to air it in newscasts and post it on wtsp.com. In keeping with our 10 News crime guidelines, reasons for our decision include the victim is not seen in the video and the video provides a unique perspective and helps the public understand what happened inside the theater at the moment central to the case.

At one point in the video, Reeves can be seen returning to his seat, and it appears an exchange takes place. Video then shows what the defense claims is Oulson's cell phone being thrown at Reeves just before an arm -- assumed to be Oulson's -- grabs Reeves' popcorn and throws it at him. Shortly after that, Reeves reaches in his front pocket, pulls out a gun, and shoots Oulson.

Chad Oulson's widow Nicole sat in the courtroom for more than 30 minutes listening audio interviews of Curtis Reeves minutes after her husband was shot.

The state introduced two audio recordings into the court Friday morning. One was between Detective Allen Proctor and Reeves just minutes after the incident and the other was between Detective Proctor and Reeves' wife.

"There is no justification for what happened in there. If I had it to do over again, it would have never happened," Curtis Reeves told Pasco County sheriff's detectives in the taped interview hours after the shooting. "But you don't get do-overs."

Reeves claimed that he shot Oulson because he was confrontational and began threatening him. "If I wasn't afraid of getting beat up, I would have never pulled a pistol," he said. "I was defending myself."

Judge Siracusa also heard a tape from Oulson's widow, Nicole, interviewed at a hospital after being shot in the hand by the same bullet that killed her 43-year-old husband.

"He kept saying stuff to my husband," Nicole Oulson said on the recording. "Immediately it didn't even register with me, I just saw a spark and saw him go down."

Oulson said she didn't hear any threats between the two men leading up to the shooting.

She said after the shooting, Reeves "just sat in his chair, he just kind of leaned back and just sat there, didn't try to help."

Authorities said Reeves became upset when Oulson, sitting in front of Reeves, was texting during movie previews. It was later learned that Oulson was texting his daughter's babysitter.

Witnesses said they didn't see Oulson hit Reeves, but some saw popcorn flying toward him.

"This happened so damn fast," Reeves told Detective Allen Proctor in the recording.

Reeves' wife, Vivian, also told detectives that Oulson used expletives, but didn't make any threats. She said he stood up and turned around, leaning over toward Reeves.

During a long law enforcement career, Reeves "never shot anybody," his wife said. "He's never threatened anybody with a gun."

Contributing: Associated Press

Retired TPD officer arrested in movie theater shooting
Movie theater gunman ID'd as former TPD captain
Neighbor: Theater shooting victim a family man
Witnesses say victim threw popcorn bag at suspect

Most Watched Videos