TALLAHASSEE, Florida -- In the proposal of his nearly $74.2 billion budget for 2014 released Wednesday, Gov. Scott included a record $8.8 billion towards transportation improvements throughout the state.
The budget makes the following investments:
- $3.8 billion for construction of highway projects
- $138.9 million in seaport infrastructure improvements
- $324.6 million for aviation improvements
- $192.5 million for scheduled repair of 51 bridges and replacement of 15 bridges
- $843.3 million for maintenance and operation
- $528 million for public transit development grants
- $134.3 million for safety initiatives
In the Tampa Bay area, a total $279.5 million will go towards improvements to major roadways and the expansion of Port Tampa Bay which are listed below.
- $89.5M to add lanes and reconstruct I-75 (SR 93) from south of US 98/SR 50/Cortez to north of US 98/SR 50/Cortez in Hernando County - enhances commerce and provide inter-regional connectivity along one of the most critical corridors of the state from the Tampa Bay Region to the Georgia State line.
- $18.2M to add lanes and rehabilitate pavement on SR 54 from east of Suncoast Pkwy to west of US 41 (SR 45) in Pasco County - increases capacity and enhances inter-regional connectivity between US 41 and US 19 which are two major north/south corridors for the state of Florida.
- $16.7M to add lanes and reconstruct SR 688 (Ulmerton Rd) from east of 49th Street to west of 38th Street North in Pinellas County - increases capacity on a major east/west corridor through the central Pinellas County Gateway area and enhance inter-regional connectivity between Pinellas and Hillsborough counties.
- $20.7M to add lanes and rehabilitate pavement on I-75 (SR 93) from north of SR 50 to the Hernando/Sumter County Line in Hernando County - enhances commerce and provides interregional connectivity along one of the most critical corridors of the state from the Tampa Bay Region to the Georgia State line.
- $20.8M to expand port facility with Port Tampa Bay capacity improvements in Hillsborough County - expands the container yard, the intermodal rail yard and gantry cranes, along with many other improvements that will enhance the functionality, safety and accessibility to the Port.
- $60.9M to add lanes and reconstruct the Veteran's Expressway from the Sugarwood Mainline Toll Plaza to Van Dyke Road in Hillsborough County - includes express lanes and conversion to an all-electronic toll facility which relieves congestion and enhances safety at tolling points.
- $52.7M to improve the existing system-to-system interchange at the Turnpike Mainline and I-75 in Sumter County - provides additional capacity, reduces congestion and increases safety at the interchange.
You may also like...
Arrrrrr! Pirates invade Tampa for Gasparilla
Treason? Secret Service visits candidate who says Obama should hang
Mystery House: Unsuspecting house holds a hidden secret
Abuse Arrest: Hog-hunting mom leaves kids in freezing car
Seeking Sasquatch: Bigfoot sightings abound in Colorado
Cyclist stuck in windshield: "Hi, I'm the guy you hit"
Miracle Baby: Tampa toddler has 5-organ transplant
Here kitty, kitty: Lion escapes enclosure at Pasco sanctuary
#ShortYellows: Florida quietly shortened yellow lights
Kittens shot: Officer shoots kittens in front of children
Popular photo galleries:
Faces of Meth: Devastating before and after photos of meth abusers
Trayvon Martin Shooting: Trayvon Martin crime scene photos and George Zimmerman injury photos
Hooters Winners: Winners of the 2013 Hooters swimsuit pageant
Rejected: Funny Florida license plates rejected by the DMV***warning graphic***
Deadly sinkhole: Home collapses, man dies in giant sinkhole
Florida Sex Offenders: Look up sex offenders in any Florida neighborhood here
Restaurant Inspections: Look up inspection reports for any Florida restaurant here