LIVE VIDEO: Live Newscast RIGHT NOW    Watch
 
 

NYC fire officials: Wire likely caused fatal blaze

4:09 PM, Jan 6, 2014   |    comments
Flames and smoke emerge from the 20th floor of the Strand apartment building near Times Square, Sunday, Jan. 5, 2014 in New York. (AP Photo/Katherine Bourbeau)
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
  • FILED UNDER

 


 


NEW YORK (AP) - Fire officials say a faulty electrical wire likely caused a blaze that killed one man and critically injured his husband in a New York City high-rise apartment.

Fire Department operations Chief James Esposito said Monday that there was a Christmas tree in the apartment. But he says it's not clear whether the cord was connected to it.

Twenty-seven-year-old Daniel McClung died and 32-year-old Michael Todd Cohen was badly hurt Sunday when flames swept through their 20th floor home. Their building in midtown Manhattan has 42 stories.

The men were found in a stairwell near the 31st floor, overcome by smoke.

Cohen is in stable condition at a New York hospital. The couple married in July.

Seven other residents and some firefighters suffered minor injuries.


(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Most Watched Videos