Fight on? Floyd Mayweather Jr., Manny Pacquiao settle lawsuit

10:33 AM, Sep 26, 2012   |    comments
  • Manny Pacquiao
  • Floyd Mayweather Jr.
    
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

 


 


LAS VEGAS - Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao have reached a confidential settlement in their federal defamation case in Las Vegas.

It's not clear if the settlement means Mayweather and Pacquiao will meet in the ring.

Malcolm LaVergne, a lawyer who represents Mayweather's father in the case, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that documents have been signed and will be filed in U.S. District Court in Las Vegas.

He says terms are strictly confidential.

Pacquiao filed the lawsuit in December 2009. He alleges Mayweather defamed him by suggesting he used performance-enhancing substances.

Pacquiao denied the claim and sought unspecified damages.

The 33-year-old Pacquiao is 54-4 with two draws. He's due to fight Juan Manuel Marquez in December in Las Vegas.

Mayweather is 35. He's undefeated in 43 fights.

The biggest stumbling block for the two meeting in the ring appears to have been Mayweather's insistence he get a lion's share of what many assume will be the biggest payday in boxing history. Recently, however, Pacquaio told ESPN he has okay with giving Mayweather a larger slice of the earnings.

"I'm waiting for that fight to happen," Pacquiao told ESPN. "I don't know what's the reason why that fight has not happened. ... It's OK for me if he gets a higher percentage than me."

Pacquaio said he'd agree to a 55-45 split.

Another stumbling had been Mayweather's insistence to random blood and urine drug screening throughout the buildup to the fight. Pacquaio also now insists he would consent to that, even on the night of the fight.

Most Watched Videos