LIVE VIDEO: Live Newscast RIGHT NOW    Watch
 

Natural gas leak, lit cigarette leads to house explosion in St. Petersburg; two people injured

6:16 PM, Aug 31, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

 


 


St. Petersburg, Florida - St. Petersburg Fire Rescue is on the scene of a 2-alarm fire in the 800 block of 5th Avenue North.

Officials tell us a Progress Energy worker came to the home to conduct an energy audit when she smelled natural gas.

The homeowners say they bumped the natural gas line while moving a mattress, and then shut the gas off.

Still the Progress Energy worker told the homeowners to stay outside, but one of them walked into the house with a lit cigarette... and sparked an explosion.

Both homeowners were airlifted to Tampa General Hospital, which specializes in treating patients with burns and smoke inhalation.

10 News

Most Watched Videos