LIVE VIDEO: Live Newscast    Watch
 

New Jersey man burns down house trying to kill bed bugs

3:00 PM, Jun 13, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
  • FILED UNDER

 


 


Woodbury, New Jersey -- A New Jersey house fire is being blamed on a homeowner's battle against bed bugs.

A county spokeswoman says the homeowner in the southern New Jersey town of Woodbury was using a space heater, a hair dryer and a heat gun Tuesday to try to eradicate the pests in a second-floor bedroom. The combination sparked a fire.

The federal Environmental Protection Agency says very high, sustained heat can kill bedbugs, but raising the temperature with the thermostat or space heaters won't do the job. It says special equipment is needed.

Woodbury Fire Marshal Joseph Buono tells WPVI-TV in nearby Philadelphia that quick Internet remedies for killing bed bugs are a "catastrophe in the making." He says the afflicted should "call the professionals."

The homeowner was hospitalized with unspecified injuries. He wasn't identified.

Most Watched Videos