LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- It's another humid, soggy summer in Florida, and with the hot, wet weather comes the pesky mosquito. But they may not be biting you for the
reasons you think. Here are five weird reasons you're getting bitten by
Check out the full list from Reader's Digest: 10 Weird Reasons You're Getting Bitten By Mosquitoes
1. They love when you work up a sweat. You think they're drawn by the
aroma of your "sweet blood," but it's really the carbon dioxide you
exhale that makes them bee-line toward you. The harder you breathe, the
more CO2 you emit, so you're especially attractive after a jog.
2. They know when you've been drinking. It's crazy, but they can tell
when you've been drinking, because your skin chemistry changes and it
lures them in.
3. They love smelly feet. In fact, scientists have shown that they
find your tootsies to be very alluring, second only to your hands.
4. The darker and more humid your yard is, the better. If you keep
your lawn mowed, pool skimmed, and bushes trimmed, your backyard won't
be very appealing. Removing puddles of stagnant water is also a great
way to repel them, because that's where they like to lay their eggs.
5. If you're a woman who's expecting, you emit more carbon dioxide
and your abdomen has a higher temperature than when you're not pregnant,
drawing some of them right to you.