MIAMI (AP) - Lawyers for prisoners held at Guantanamo say the U.S. government is notifying them if their clients are being force-fed during a hunger strike at the U.S. base in Cuba.
Lawyer Cori Crider among those to get the first-time notification. She was told Sami Mukbel of Yemen was being force-fed and was allowed to speak with him by phone Monday.
Crider says he has lost about 30 pounds since the strike began in February as a protest over indefinite confinement and what prisoners say are intrusive searches of their Qurans.
A military spokesman says the U.S. previously avoided discussing any prisoner by name. The military says there are 42 prisoners on hunger strike and 11 are being force-fed to prevent dangerous weight loss. Lawyers say the figure is higher.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)