LAFAYETTE, La. (AP) - A fire that destroyed a recycling center was likely sparked by a person, either accidentally or intentionally, officials say.
Lafayette Fire Department spokesman Alton Trahan told The Advocate Friday that the fire remains under investigation, but doesn't appear to have been sparked by electrical problems or machines.
The blaze began March 16, and firefighters worked three days pulling apart smoldering bales of paper and cardboard.
Recycling Foundation Division Manager Steven Cheatham said all equipment was destroyed.
Investigators have interviewed residents, but haven't determined if the fire was arson or an accident.
Curbside recycling has continued, with materials hauled to Baton Rouge. No rebuilding decision has been made, Cheatham said.
Lafayette City-Parish Council Chairman Brandon Shelvin, citing this and a 2010 fire, wants to ban recycling facilities in the parish.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)