(USA Today) -- Ensuring the safety of athletes and fans at the Olympics is an essential concern and and a serious undertaking.
The official list of prohibited items at the London 2012 Games is nothing to joke about. Do not bring firearms, knives, explosives and toxic materials to the Olympics.
But then there is a second list. The restricted items list. It's a pretty funny list.
These items won't get you banned from the premises, but they will make you persona non grata. Here are some of our favorites:
1. Oversized hats! Wait, I can't go to the 'lympics like this? Forget it, I'm not going.
2. Excessive amounts of food. This is a shame because sometimes the food can be better than the events. Just ask this dog.
3. Large golf-style umbrellas. But what if Michael Phelps is raining gold medals at the London Aquatics Centre? Then what, London 2012? We'll all have welts on our heads, that's what.
4. Balls, rackets, frisbees or similar objects or projectiles. I'm OK with this. YOU ARE NOT IN THE OLYMPICS QUIT TRYING TO PLAY SPORTS AT THE OLYMPICS.
5. Noisemakers such as huntinghorns, air horns, klaxons, drums,vuvuzelas and whistles. Sorry, bro ...
6. Flags of countries not participating in the Games. This is going to hit supporters of the United Nations Space Commandhardest of all.
(SOURCE: Official London 2012 Prohibited and Banned item lists)