Polk County, Florida -- After an evaluation of the various school crossing guard locations throughout the county, the School Crossing Guard Committee has decided to remove guards from over 10 locations.
The committee says the decision to remove these school crossing guards was made after looking at traffic surveys which confirmed students can safely cross the following intersections without assistance.
- Sleepy Hill Road & Terra Largo - Lakeland
- Main Street & Fern Road - Lakeland
- Dorman Road & Nestlewood Court - Lakeland
- Maple Avenue & Ansley Avenue - Bartow
- Shumate Drive & Clower Street - Bartow
- 34th Street & Avenue R NW - Winter Haven
- McLeod Road & Snooks Wardlow - Frostproof
- Pine Street & Caspian Road - Poinciana
- Lake Miriam Creek & Willow Springs - Poinciana
- Hemlock Road & Flounder Road - Poinciana
- Halibut Road & Flouder Road - Poinciana
- Halibut Road & Pine Street - Poinciana
The committee -- consisting of representatives from the school board, the Florida Department of Transportation, the Board of County Commissioners Traffic
Engineering Division, the Polk County Sheriff's Office, and a number of the
municipalities within Polk County -- has notified the principals of the affected schools.
The review process will continue throughout the year with deputies patrolling school zones daily as a reminder to motorists to be cautious of students on their way to and from school.
The school crossing guards were removed from the above locations on June 5, 2013.