Reeva Steenkamp is seen during a photoshoot in this undated portfolio picture supplied by Ice Model Management in Johannesburg.
(USA Today)-- Oscar Pistorius, the Olympic star known as the Blade Runner, has been charged with the murder of his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp at his home in South Africa.
The shock and sadness of this news manifested itself on Twitter early Thursday morning. But even amid the instant reaction, four old tweets -- from Pistorius and his girlfriend -- are getting the most attention on social media.
More: Olympic Runner Oscar Pistorius charged with murder
(1) Steenkamp's final tweet was a cheery reply to a friend who had invited her to a Valentines Day celebration with chocolate cupcakes topped with red hearts. It read: "I'm there like a bear!!! Yayyyy!!!!"
(2) One of her last tweets: "What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow??? #getexcited #ValentinesDay"
(3) Steenkamp's tweet from Wednesday morning: "It's a beautiful day!Make things happen.Starting my day off with a yummy healthy shake from my boo :) #healthyliving"
(4)@OscarPistorius bragging about his score at a shooting range in November 2011: "Spent the afternoon at the Tormezzo Italian Shooting range. Had a 96% headshot over 300m from 50shots! Bam!"
Steenkamp often posted tweets of encouragement for people to fight sexual abuse. "WEAR BLACK THIS FRIDAY IN SUPPORT AGAINST #RAPE," she retweeted just hours before her death.
More: Who was Pistorius' girlfriend?
Here is more of the reaction from around Twitter.
* Columbia University's Chief Digital Officer Sree Sreenivasan: "Reading w/ horror about shooting of @reevasteenkamp & arrest of @OscarPistorius."
* New York Times' Christopher Clarey: "Would urge everyone to take deep breath, exhale at length & not rush to judgment on #Pistorius Skip the jokes, too. A young woman has died."
* University of Maryland journalism professor Kevin Blackistone: "One of those stories you don't imagine coming, but we don't really know these people we deify. We really don't."
* USA TODAY Sports' Joe Fleming: "Don't even know what to say."
You may also like...
Prostitute Roundup: 78 arrested in online sex sting
Sex blog: Tampa area school CFO busted over her dirty sex porn blog *warning, GRAPHIC*
Sorry: Woman apologizes for flipping off judge
Nasty Nasty Dining: 10 of the nastiest restaurants in Tampa Bay in 2012
Cover Girl: Kate Upton back on the cover of Sports Illustrated
Cop of Love: Sheriff puts up Valentine's Day billboard
Faces of Meth: Before and After pictures
Take us with you: Download the 10 News app for your iPad
No sign of any ninja turtles: Alligator pulled from storm drain
Yowtch! Teen accidentally shoots off his penis, testicle
Shock Jock: DJ suspended for mocking woman with Down Syndrome
Bikini Photos: 2012 Hooters International Swimsuit Pageant
Not racist? Restaurant says 'How to catch an illegal immigrant' t-shirt is not racist
Money Mondays: How you can search for unclaimed cash
Sex Offender Mugshots: Look up Florida Sex Offenders here
Bikinis, mud, trucks: The Redneck Yacht Club
Photos: Ex-Charlie Sheen Goddess Bree Olson
Naughty Schoolgirls: Naughty schoolgirl night at Tampa club pictures
Outrageous mug shot galleries...
Strange: Some of the most unusual mug shots we've seen
Notorious Women: Bad girls behind bars
Teachers: Teacher arrest mugshots
Celebrities: The rich and famous have their own booking photos
Jaw droppers: Open mouth mug shots
Laughers: What's so funny mug shots
Prostitutes: Prostitute mug shots
Athletes: Professional athlete mug shots
Porn arrests: Child porn arrest mug shots
Local Mugs: Hillsborough County Mug shots
More unusual mug shots and galleries: 10 News slideshows and galleries