Casey Anthony Trial: Pet burial traditions in the Anthony family

11:35 AM, Jun 30, 2011   |    comments
George Anthony testifies during the trial of his daughter Casey Anthony.
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

WATCH: Live video of the Casey Anthony trial
The Casey Anthony murder trial


ORLANDO, Florida  -- Casey Anthony's Anthony family was questioned about pet burial tradition in the Casey Anthony murder trial  on day 32

Baez asked George Anthony how he had buried the family dog when he lived in Ohio. He said he could not remember details because it was nearly 30 years ago, but thinks he buried the dog in a blanket.

Crime Scene Photos: Pictures from where Caylee Anthony's body was found (Caution: Some pictures may be considered graphic)

More Pictures: Click here to see the photos Casey Anthony doesn't want you to see (Caution: pics contain some adult material: IE: Drinking, partial nudity)

Baez went on to ask about two other family dogs and a cat the Anthony's had after they moved to Florida. Baez asked if the pets were buried in a plastic bag wrapped in duct tape. George Anthony kept saying he did not remember.

Cindy Anthony was then called to testify about the death of the family pets.

Cindy Anthony said the first two dogs were buried wrapped in black plastic and tape, which is how they were prepared by the veterinarian.

Cindy Anthony said a family cat was buried wrapped in a towel, then a plastic bag and wrapped with packing tape.

She said tape was used to make the bags more compact.

In cross-examination, Cindy Anthony said her children were aware of the family pet burial tradition. Prosecutor Linda Drane Burdick asked her if any of the pets were killed using chloroform, or cut tape over their mouths. Cindy Anthony said no.

Casey Anthony's brother, Lee Anthony, was then asked about the burial of family pets. He said his parents were typically in charge of the burials.

Earlier Thursday morning, Baez played a brief Local 6 archive video depicting Henkel brand duct tape at a Caylee search command center in the parking lot of a Publix on Chickasaw Trail. The same brand tape was found on Caylee's skull.

Baez asked George Anthony about the video. Henkel is not a common brand of duct tape. It is manufactured in Ohio.

The same brand duct tape was found in the shed at the Anthony family home.

The defense for Casey Anthony was expected to rest its case Thursday, although it's still not known if the Orlando mother will take the stand to answer questions about whether she killed her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee.

Krystal Holloway was the defense's first witness on Thursday. She said she met George Anthony at a tent during the search for Caylee Anthony in October 2008.

Holloway testified that she developed an intimate relationship with George Anthony and that he came to her home around a dozen times.  

Holloway said that during a conversation about Casey Anthony around Thanksgiving 2008, she said George Anthony told her Caylee's death was an accident.

"He said it was an accident that snowballed out of control. I was in shock. By the time I looked up, his eyes were full of tears. I didn't elaborate. I didn't ask him anything further," Holloway said.

Holloway said the police came to her for the first time in 2010. She said investigators asked her if she knew George Anthony and if she had an affair with him.

Holloway said she provided investigators with her cellphone and letters George Anthony had written her. She said she lied to investigators about the affair at first because she was embarrassed, but she eventually told them the truth.

Holloway said her relationship ended with George Anthony shortly after Caylee's remains were found in December 2008.

Holloway said she was paid $4,000 by the National Enquirer to tell her story about one week after she told investigators she did not have an affair with George Anthony. 

In cross-examination, prosecutor Jeff Ashton accused Holloway of sensationalizing her story to make more money. He accused Holloway of seeking out the Anthony family because they were well known after Caylee was reported missing.

Ashton pointed out that George Anthony never told Holloway he was present when Caylee died by accident.

During re-direct, Holloway denied having a criminal record, as George Anthony had said earlier this week.

The defense was not allowed to ask Holloway about whether she loaned George Anthony money.

Perry told the jury they could not consider Holloway's statements as a reflection of how Caylee died. He said Holloway's testimony can only be considered as evidence that George Anthony had lied about their affair.

Earlier this week, George Anthony denied having an intimate relationship with Holloway. He said he only went to her home once to console her because she had cancer. He did admit to sending Holloway one text message that said, "Just thinking about you. I need you in my life," but he said he needed a lot of the volunteers he had grown close to.

Holloway said she is also known as River Cruz.

In an interview with Local 6 reporter Tony Pipitone last week, Holloway said the same things.

After Holloway's testimony, lead defense attorney Jose Baez called private investigator Dominic Casey back to the stand.

Casey previously testified about his videotaped search of the area off Suburban Drive in November 2008 where Caylee's remains were found the next month.

Baez presented Casey with a Google map he had created which pinpointed the areas that he searched.

Casey testified that he was led to the area, which is near the Anthony family home, by a psychic, not any member of the Anthony family.

Earlier this week, Casey Anthony's mother testified that she never sent Casey to that area, but Lee Anthony gave conflicting testimony. He said he was upset to learn that his mother sent Casey to the area to search for Caylee's body on the advice of a psychic, because until then, they had only searched for a live Caylee. 

Lee Anthony said he remembered the argument with his mother over the search happening in October 2008, not November.

Casey said he did not find anything after looking in the area twice in two days. Caylee's remains were found in the area on Dec. 11, 2008, by meter reader Roy Kronk.

On Wednesday, the defense may have been dealt a blow when George Anthony broke into tears when telling jurors about his suicide attempt some six weeks after his granddaughter's body was found. Attorneys contend Caylee did not die at the hands of her mother but accidentally drowned in her grandparents' pool and that George Anthony helped cover it up.

Anthony, 25, is charged with first-degree murder in Caylee's death in the summer of 2008. The prosecution says Anthony suffocated Caylee with duct tape.

Also Wednesday, a grief expert testified it is plausible for a young person dealing with a death to exhibit the same behavior Casey Anthony did in the month after prosecutors say Caylee had been killed. The toddler had not been seen for a month or so before the Anthony family reported her missing to police.

Several witnesses have said Casey Anthony spent her time partying and claimed the child was with a nanny who later turned out to be non-existent.

Florida State University professor and grief expert Sally Karioth never interviewed Anthony, but when defense attorney Dorothy Sims laid out a hypothetical scenario with facts from the case, she testified it wasn't inconsistent with grief she's observed in similar situations. Karioth previously testified in the South Carolina murder case of Susan Smith, who was convicted of drowning her children.

"Young adults are reflective grievers and will often act like nothing happened," Karioth said.


Local 6 - WKMG -

Most Watched Videos