Detectives: Jason Arnold Wilson shot dead after opening fire at New Port Richey Police officers and a Pasco Sheriff's deputy

3:38 PM, Feb 17, 2011   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
  • Jason Arnold Wilson, from a previous arrest.
  • A man is dead after investigators say he shot at two New Port Richey Police officers and a Pasco County Sheriff's deputy during a traffic stop.
Janie Porter Video Stories
More Janie Porter Stories

New Port Richey, Florida -   Investigators have identified the suspect who was shot and killed after he first fired upon New Port Richey police officers and a Pasco Sheriff's deputy.

Jason Arnold Wilson or New Port Richey, was killed after he fired at least one round from a handgun during a traffic stop in which he was a passenger.

The names of the officers involved in the shooting are not being released at this time.

The incident happened just before 2 a.m., when New Port Richey Police pulled over a black Honda with four people inside. 

The car was stopped for a faulty equipment check on Main Street in New Port Richey, just west of US 19.  The road borders a Burger King and Hess gas station.

A Pasco County Sheriff's deputy was also there for backup, as is common, according to Pasco County Sheriff's Office public information officer Kevin Doll. 

According to investigators, three people got out of the black Honda when officers asked them to.

But Wilson, a passenger in the back seat, started "fumbling around," according to Doll.

Eventually, the Pasco deputy saw the man pull out a gun and yelled "Gun!" just as Wilson allegedly started firing.

"That helped the New Port Richey police sergeant who was near the car literally dodge a bullet," said Doll.

One officer and the deputy fired back at Wilson, who was killed.

Neither of the officers, nor the deputy, were injured.

"Traffic stops are one of the most dangerous types of incidents law enforcement is involved in," Doll said.

The three other people in the black Honda (two males and one female) were questioned by investigators.

The law enforcement involved were also questioned and have gone home for the day.  They will most likely be put on paid administrative leave, as is standard procedure, Doll said.

"[I told them to] go home, kiss their wives and give their children a hug," said New Port Richey Police Chief Jeffrey Harrington when asked what he told his two officers.

Harrington and Doll say they will not release the names of the officers or deputy involved until Friday.

Investigators also have not identified the deceased male.  Once they identify him, they will notify his family of his death before releasing his name.

Main Street in New Port Richey was closed for nine hours during the investigation.  It reopened at about 11 a.m.

Janie Porter, 10 News and the Pasco County Sheriff's Office

Most Watched Videos