DAYTONA BEACH, FL - Health officials are warning of a deadly bacteria off the Central Florida coast.
Officials said anyone who comes in contact with Vibrio vulnificus runs the risk of getting sick.
Twenty-six cases of the bacteria have been reported across the state. Two of them were in Volusia County, and one was in Flagler County.
Authorities said nine people have died of the bacteria in Florida, including a 59-year-old man in Palm Coast.
Officials said the bacteria can be contracted by eating raw shellfish or through an open wound. They said it's a flesh-eating bacteria.
Health official warn seafood lovers and beachgoers to use caution.
"We like to come down and relax, take down our weekly stress levels from school," beachgoer Justin Ireland said.
The water that brings so much enjoyment is now the source of one family's pain.
Henry Konietsky, 59, went fishing for crabs near the Halifax River on Sept. 21, but his daughter said he died 28 hours later.
Officials said Konietsky contracted Vibrio vulnificus from warm seawater.