An accidental cooking fire in St. Petersburg, Florida on 18th Avenue almost burned down a home

2:44 PM, Mar 10, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

 


 


St. Petersburg, Florida -- A fire broke out early March 10 in a residential home.

St. Petersburg Fire & Rescue responded to a fire at 4056 18th Ave. So. around 5:16 a.m. A one story wood frame home had heavy smoke and fire coming out of  the front.

Firefighters found the occupant coming out the side door. The fire started in the kitchen and made its way into the attic.

According to fire investigators, the occupant stated cooking and then fell asleep leaving two burners on the stove. It eventually destroyed the entire home. 

The occupant, 41-years-old, was treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation and transported to Bayfront Hospital in stable condition.

The St. Petersburg Fire & Rescue also noted that there were no smoke alarms in the house. According to the occupant he woke up due to the smoke choking him.

Smoke alarms are free in St Petersburg. Residents needing a smoke alarms can call 727-893-SAFE.

Most Watched Videos