LIVE VIDEO: Live Newscast RIGHT NOW    Watch
 

Some Pasco County residents still waiting for power to return

5:50 PM, Jun 28, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
Adam Freeman Video Stories
More Adam Freeman Stories

NEW PORT RICHEY, Florida -- Some people in Pasco County still dealt with the aftermath of Tropical Storm Debby on Thursday and it may be into the weekend before they can fully begin to assess the damage.

While some are cleaning up, a number of people living in Anclote River Estates still can't drive back to their homes.

"No power, no water," Shawn Bollman said, "just totally sucks."

Al Clark, who stayed in his home to watch his in-laws who refused to evacuate, says not having power is their biggest problem.

"Been keeping refrigerators and freezers closed and opening them just when we have to," Clark described.

He and his family were the ones who discovered a body on Wednesday, when it floated into their front yard.

The person was identified Thursday as 46-year-old David Glenn Huntley of New Port Richey.

"That was terrible.  I just hate to see that happen to anybody," Clark said.

As of Thursday afternoon, Progress Energy estimated about 100 people in the area remained without power. They say it could be at least Friday before that changes.

After that, residents say they can really begin to see how much devastation Debby caused.

"It's the worst I've seen it in 32 years," Clark said.

People living in Seven Springs mobile home park are also still out of their homes.

It could be Saturday before they're able to return.

The National Weather Service reports the Anclote River had dropped about four feet since its peak earlier in the week.

The storm caused the river to rise to its high point since 1945.

Most Watched Videos