MIAMI (AP) - Miami-Dade school officials say measures are being taken to "safeguard the health of students" after an 18-year-old boy died from bacterial meningitis.
Health officials met with parents of Coral Reef Senior High students on Sunday. Superintendent of Miami-Dade County, John Schuster, told WTVJ parents were informed of preventative treatments should their children have come into contact with it.
An advisory on the school's website says the health department is conducting a "high risk group contact investigation" as a precautionary measure.
It wasn't immediately clear how the student was infected. Health officials say the student's death was not related to the recent national outbreak of fungal meningitis linked to contaminated pain injections.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)