Jacksonville International Airport reopened after an earlier evacuation due to a suspicious package

10:48 PM, Oct 1, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
Photo sent in by Jim Oosterhoudt. (First Coast News)



JACKSONVILLE, Florida (FCN/AP) -- UPDATE: A tweet sent just after 11:20 Tuesday night from the Jacksonville International Airport's official Twitter account stated the airport had been reopened. 

Jacksonville Airport Authority spokesman Michael Stuart told confirmed the information to the media.

"At this point, we've gotten an all-clear in the terminal and our garages and our surface lots," said Stewart.

Stewart also said one suspicious package was in a garage, and another in a terminal, but he had no knowledge of arrests made in the investigation, CNN reported.

The FBI is assisting in an ongoing investigation.

Airport officials said they are working to establish normal operations, and encouraged anyone affected by tonight's ground-stop situation to contact their airlines for flight information. 


The Jacksonville International Airport has been evacuated.

A tweet posted Tuesday evening on the airport's official Twitter feed says the evacuation was prompted by police activity regarding suspicious packages. 

A witness, who was inside the airport at the time, told First Coast News he saw a man being handcuffed and that everyone was told to evacuate quickly.

Airport officials also tweeted that passengers on in-bound flights on the ground were being bused to off-site hotels as transportation became available.

During a press conference at 7:30 p.m., a spokesman for JIA said one package was found in the garage and another in the terminal. He did not confirm any arrests.

The airport continued to update on the status of the investigation from its Twitter account. As of 9:30 p.m., tweets said the investigation was still underway, and the airport is a ground-stop. No inbound or outbound flights until further notice.

They also announced the closure of the parking garage until the bomb squad cleared the area. Economy lots, however, were said to be accessible. 

There was no estimated time as to how long the investigation would continue. A press conference originally scheduled for 10:30 was pushed back to 11 p.m.

Those whose flights were affected have been advised to check with their airline regarding flight status Wednesday morning. 

10 News will continue with updates on this developing story. 

Most Watched Videos