TAMPA, Florida - Retired Tampa Police officer Curtis Reeves broke the rules of the Cobb Grove 16 Theatre on Monday by bringing a gun into the building.
But he wasn't breaking Florida's concealed weapons permit law.
Private businesses such as movie theaters, theme parks, and restaurants are allowed to refuse service to patrons carrying guns. And signs outside the establishment often indicate anyone in possession of a gun - even if he or she has a concealed weapons permit - will be thrown out.
But in the eyes of the law, breaking a movie theater's policy on gun possession is no different than breaking its policy on "no outside food or drink." While it may be against the rules, it's not illegal.
There are a number of places concealed weapons permit-holders are not allowed to ever bring weapons (FSS 790.06). They include bars, sporting events, courthouses, and schools.
Florida has more than 1 million concealed weapons permit-holders, and a bill working its way through Tallahassee proposes to make the permitting process for concealed weapon-holders even easier.
Contact 10 Investigates reporter Noah Pransky via Facebook or through his updates on Twitter.
- Retired TPD officer arrested in movie theater shooting
- PHOTOS: Shooting suspect being taken into custody
- Movie theater gunman ID'd as former TPD captain
- Neighbor: Theater shooting victim a family man
- Alleged movie theater shooter held without bond
- Witnesses: Victim threw popcorn bag at suspect
- Dad shot in theater adamant about texting daughter
- GUNS: Why are they allowed where signs forbid them?
- Deputies: Alleged movie theater shooter's gun jammed
- Popcorn defense: Can accused movie shooter use Stand Your Ground?
- 10 Investigates: History of accused movie theater shooter
You may also like...
Weird Florida: A look back at some of the strangest stories of the year
Miracle Baby: Tampa toddler has 5-organ transplant
Broke Bad: Contest winner busted in synthetic drug ring
Here kitty, kitty: Lion escapes enclosure at Pasco sanctuary
Fake Cop: Man arrested 3 times for impersonating officer
Animal tragedy: Girl's miniature horse attacked by dogs
#ShortYellows: Florida quietly shortened yellow lights
Kittens shot: Officer shoots kittens in front of children
Popular photo galleries:
Faces of Meth: Devastating before and after photos of meth abusers
Trayvon Martin Shooting: Trayvon Martin crime scene photos and George Zimmerman injury photos
Hooters Winners: Winners of the 2013 Hooters swimsuit pageant
Rejected: Funny Florida license plates rejected by the DMV ***warning graphic***
Deadly sinkhole: Home collapses, man dies in giant sinkhole
Florida Sex Offenders: Look up sex offenders in any Florida neighborhood here
Restaurant Inspections: Look up inspection reports for any Florida restaurant here