LIVE VIDEO: Live Newscast RIGHT NOW    Watch
 
 

Zients: HealthCare.gov's problems will be fixed in a month

12:52 PM, Oct 25, 2013   |    comments
Jeffrey Zients
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

 

WASHINGTON (USA TODAY) - The troubled HealthCare.gov website will be running properly by late November, said Jeffrey Zients, President Obama's appointee to fix the problems that have plagued the site since its Oct. 1 opening.

"By the end of November, HealthCare.gov will work smoothly for the vast majority of users," Zients said Friday. "The HealthCare.gov site is fixable. It will take a lot of work, and there are a lot of problems that need to be addressed."

Zients, former acting director of the Office of Management and Budget, was called in Monday to help with the site until it is fixed. He helped with other website glitches during Obama's first term.

QSSI will serve as a general contractor to oversee the effort, he said.

"We are appointing what you can think of as a general contractor to manage the overall effort," Zients said. "There will be a relentless focus on speed and execution" in fixing the problems.

The volume of applications did cause initial problems, Zients said, but there were also problems "across the site." He said there were "performance problems," or the glitches consumers ran into as they made their ways through the site, such as frozen pages or error messages.

But there were also "functional problems."

"These are bugs that prevent the software from performing the way it's supposed to work," he said. "There's a punch list of fixes, and we're going to punch them out one by one."

Still, he said things are getting better.

"We're now at 90%; 90% can create an account," Zients said. "We're executing a plan of attack and the system is getting better."

But he described the actual application process as "volatile." Only three out of 10 have been able to create an application.

About 700,000 applications have been begun nationwide, and half of them have come in through the website, said Julie Bataille, director of the office of communications for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

The announcement followed an acrimonious House hearing Thursday where contractors who worked on HealthCare.gov said the problems emerged when testing began two weeks before the site was launched. Republicans charged that the government knew before the launch that there would be major glitches in the site, while Democrats said Republicans were using the problems for political reasons, rather than working to get the site up with the further goal of health insurance for everyone.

But both Republicans and a few Democrats up for reelection in tight races called for a delay of the individual mandate, or the fine Americans must pay if they do not have insurance by March 31.

Each contractor did its own testing, but when they put all of the pieces together, they did not work.

Cheryl Campbell - senior vice president of CGI Federal, the main contractor for the site - testified that she did not believe it would take much longer to fix the site, and that people should be able to enroll in time to have coverage Jan. 1

"The system is working; people are enrolling; but people will be able to enroll at a faster pace" as they continue to improve the system, she said.

She also said her 350 employees would quit if she told them they had to rewrite 5 million lines of code-and that that is not, in fact, the case.

The government performed the end-to-end testing of the system.

But Andrew Slavitt of Optum/QSSI said that his company had found problems in the code, and that all of the contractors, as well as the government, had been informed of those problems.He said CMS understood the issues and was working on them.

"We did fully talk about the risks that we saw, and we passed them along," he said.

Slavitt said his company had been paid $85 for their work on the site, while Campbell said CGI had been paid $211 million.

Most Watched Videos